As the Director of Instructional Technology for one of the largest school districts in Ohio, I am constantly asked what types of technology I use on a daily basis. I guess they think that if I am using the technology then it must be a worthwhile piece of technology. But I believe that this is the technology that works the best for me. Technology is personal and what works best for one person does not always work best for another. So with that being said here is my list of technology:
- Devices – I use a 15″ MacBook Pro (supped up with 16GB of RAM), an iPad Air 2 (64GB) and a iPhone 6. I also use on a daily basis a secondary 27″ monitor connected to my MacBook Pro. I like using Mac products has everything has the ability to work together. I can start working on my MacBook Pro and then finish it on my iPad or iPhone. When I update something on my laptop it is instantly updated on my iPad or iPhone. I don’t have the time to make changes on three different devices.
- Email – For email I am a big user of Google. Everything Google and all of the extensions and add-ons that come with it!
- Calendar – Since I am a Google user, I use the Google Calendar app on my iPhone and an app called Sunrise Calendar on my iPad and laptop.
- Productivity Tools – I mostly use Apple’s iWork Suite (Keynote, Pages and Numbers), if I have to I use Microsoft Office (only if I have to).
- Professional Design Tools – Photoshop CS6, Dreamweaver CS6, InDesign CS6
- Browser – Chrome and Safari
- Movie Creation and Editing – Screen Flow and QuickTime for creation of videos and iMovie for video editing. Plus the GoPro Studio
- Streaming Live Video – Livestream Producer and BlackMagic Media Express
- Social Media – Twitter and TweetDeck, Periscope (on iPhone and iPad), LinkedIn
- Task Manager – Wunderlist
- Photo Editing – Apple Photos, Fotor, Corel AfterShot Pro, Photoshop
- Notes – Evernote
- Mirroring Desktop Software – Duet (allows my iPad to become a second display) and Airserver (can mirror multiple iPads/iPhones on the screen)
- SmartHome Apps – Nest Thermostat and Protect, Kuna Security cameras
- News Readers – Zite (my favorite app of all time)
- Favorite Fun Apps – Field Trip, Key Ring (no more George Contanza wallet), Calm
- Newest App Downloaded – Yapp (app to make an app for a conference)
So here are my favorites and the apps that work the best for me. Feel free to try these out and see if it works for you!